Follow me on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!
Hello! I’m Brigit, the teacher, crafter, faith filled blogger behind Sparking Wisdom. I live in the beautiful Midwest state of Wisconsin with my husband Aaron and our two fur babies.
Aaron and I began dating in the spring of 2018 after I asked him to be on our indoor volleyball league. After three months we were engaged! We tied the knot June 1st, 2019. We enjoy making projects, working on our house, playing any kind of sports and singing karaoke!
What is Sparking Wisdom?
Sparking Wisdom is a place for people to come together to share ideas. Whether it be about teaching, faith, crafts, or personal relationships, the possibilities are endless! There is something on this blog for everyone, and if you don’t find it, just ask and you shall receive!
Sparking Wisdom runs in themes throughout the year. In the summer, I focus on crafts and outdoor adventures. In the fall we switch to teaching resources that can be used by fellow teachers and parents as well! As we move into the winter and holiday season, our focus moves towards faith and self-reflection. Finally, in the spring we delve into personal relationships and self improvement.
I went back and forth on the idea of themes for this blog. Many successful blogs have a singular focus, such as travel, food, or fashion. When brainstorming what I have to share with the world, I realized that I am a jack of all trades and a master of none. I think many people are in the same boat! I don’t want to limit myself on what I have to offer and gain from my readers. This system may not give me millions of readers, but that’s not what Sparking Wisdom is about. It’s about sharing knowledge with each other, and I hope I am able to accomplish this.
What topics will I learn about here?
- Children’s items
- Sewing projects
- Home decor
- Antique restoration
- Teaching tools, activities, lessons
- Teacher perspectives
- Tips for parents, teachers, and students
- Faith/Self Reflection
- Bible studies
- Faith resources
- Journaling prompts
- Personal Relationships
- Relationship tips
- Wedding/Big event planning
- What I have learned
Interested? Subscribe today!
Work With Me
Click here for a link to my Media Kit and contact information. I look forward to working with you!
A bit more about me
I first started this blog back in November 2019. At that time I was deep into one of the worst teaching years of my life. I remember crying to my husband that I didn’t know if I even wanted to teach anymore. As a teacher, those are very scary words to say out loud.
I had always been a person who enjoyed journaling and self reflection. I had been thinking about blogging for over a year and thought that this would be a positive outlet for me. I needed a safe place where I could share my experiences, thoughts, hopes, desires. At first this blog was just for me to escape my stressful days, but it soon became more than that. I realized that I have a lot of knowledge in many subjects and people could benefit from that. I also know that I do not know everything, and I would love to gain knowledge from others throughout this process. And thus, Sparking Wisdom was born.
Like it’s stated above, I decided to blog about four specific topics instead of just one niche. You may be wondering why I picked these topics? I’m glad you asked!
- I attend college at UW-Platteville and earned my Bachelor of Science in History, with a minor in Broad field Social Studies and International Studies.
- I began teaching High School Social Studies in 2015 and continue to this day. The main topics I teach are:
- World Connections: how in history the world has become more and more connected and the process by which this happened
- World History: from Medieval times to the Scientific Revolution (probably my favorite class to teach!)
- Current Events: teaching students how to identify media bias, research sources of news, and track what is going on around the world.
- I am also a member of my school’s iTeam (innovation Team). We meet about once a month to discuss improvements in education and we pilot other programs before they roll out to the rest of our district. This has been a VERY rewarding experience for me. I love to learn and try new things when it comes to teaching and I will say it helped me a great deal during the COVID-19 shut down.
- I got the craft bug from my mom. I remember growing up my mom had this huge tackle box full of stamps, ink pads, colored paper, and fancy scissors. Before Christmas we would spend hours making homemade cards to send out. As I grew up, my mom’s side of the family really got into crafting as well! Now we have an annual craft weekend where we all pick a craft, buy enough supplies for everyone else, and then spend the weekend making each other’s crafts. By the end of the weekend we go home with 7-8 new homemade items!
- This past year my husband helped me create a craft corner in my basement. Now I have an area all my own to make anything I want! It’s my intention to eventually sell off the items I make, so watch out for that!
- I consider myself to be a Christian. Although I was raised Lutheran, I don’t really identify with any specific branch of Christianity today. My faith journey has had many ups and downs, ebbs and flows, but I think that is true for many faithful people. We are not perfect, but the point is to continue to try and look to God for guidance
- My goal with my faith is to continue to learn and grow. I have run a few Bible studies and have gained an immense amount of knowledge from the people I surround myself with. This is one area where I hope to gain a lot of insight from my readers.
- I also think that many aspects of faith can also be applied to self reflection. I hope to create detailed discussions and questions to help other reflect on themselves and how they can work to improve their lives and the lives of others.
- Whether it be family drama, relationships with peers, or issues with significant others, I think I have seen a lot in my lifetime. Relationships with others are a basic human need, but that doesn’t mean they come easy. By sharing some of my personal experiences I’d like to let others know they are not alone. Hopefully we can learn from each other and enter into healthier relationships in the future.
- I have always been a person who loves to learn and grow. I am not one who is set it their ways. I constantly read, listen to, and watch things that challenge my worldview and I want to share these things with you! Whether it be in recommendations and resources, or questions and discussions. We are lifetime learners!
- I am also a certified personal trainer though ISSA in general Personal Training, and Strength and Conditioning. I hope to add a Nutrition Specialist to my repertoire soon.
I believe we all have something to offer one another! I hope I am able to Spark a little Wisdom for you today!
Great post! From one fellow Wisconsinite dog lover to another, thanks for sharing your struggles. Your students are lucky to…
Thank you so much! Tell your sister that I’m sending her all the positive vibes!!
What’s great story Brigit! I never remember a teacher apologizing either. I think it’s so sweet how they handled the…
An apology can be so impactful
I always love connecting with fellow Wisconsinites! Thank you for your kind words ❤️